Our MatureWell patient advocate, Michele Buenger, holds a bachelor’s degree in Nursing from Chamberlain University and has 10 years of experience as a registered nurse.
Her duties as a patient advocate include:
- Assessing patients’ current and future needs and connecting patients with resources (internal and external) as appropriate and needed. This can include social, financial, psychosocial, clinical, spiritual, and educational resources.
- Assisting in initial coordination and connection to services, resources, and providers for patients and caregivers.
- Providing seamless referrals to resources to ensure elimination of barriers to care and wellness.
- Providing patient education support, reinforcing education, connecting patients to educational resources, and teaching health education classes to ensure patients and caregivers receive or have access to adequate education that reinforces disease treatments, side effects, adverse reactions, reportable sign/symptoms, lifestyle changes, self-management, patient engagement, and best practices of disease management.
- Advising patients and caregivers about options throughout the healthcare system continuum of care and connecting them to the appropriate resources within the continuum of care.